June 1, 2021
Where to Find Home Canning Lids
*Update: We continue to receive occasional shipments of Bulk Canning Lids and Bands and Retail Packs.
The shortage in supply of home canning lids, also known as 2-piece canning lids, flats, or lids & bands or rings that began in 2020 is not over.
Unfortunately, this shortage created a vacuum for some fraud in the production and sale of canning lids. Upon seeing fraudulent sites, we quickly posted warnings and tips on what to look for when purchasing home canning lids. Some of the sellers were new online stores that popped up in response to the demand, and some were sellers on Amazon.
Be Careful Where You Shop!
If we aren’t able to fulfill your order, it’s okay. However, please be careful when shopping with unfamiliar companies. There are some sites taking advantage of people in their frantic search for home canning lids & jars. Some of these look legitimate at a glance, but if you look for some key things, you may be prompted to do a little more research.
Warning Signs for Fraudulent Canning Lids
- Misspelling of basic terms used in canning – like “regular”, or “plastisol”.
- Run-on product names or descriptions that appear to be phrases copied & pasted from recognizable brands like Ball/Kerr/Newell.
- Images that are misleading, not accurate, or misrepresent the actual item for sale. Look at all of the images attached to a particular item. The jars options/designs that are compatible with Ball 2-piece canning lids are very recognizable. If you see something that looks more decorative, it’s not likely compatible.
- The use of important product components like silicone or plastisol is used interchangeably.
- Look for a contact method – there should be customer service to chat online. You might even want to call for clarification on the products you’re considering.
Who Makes Canning Lids
The only brands/companies manufacturing 2-piece lids in bulk that are FDA Approved and Made in the USA are by Newell/Jarden/Ball or by Tecnocap. Neither of these bulk products are imprinted with a brand name.
When or Where can I get Canning Lids?
We receive monthly mixed loads of Newell/Jarden/Ball items, which contain a rather random combination of jars and retail packs of lids. Be sure that you have signed up for the Back In Stock email notifications on all of the items you need so that you don’t miss out. Items are in high demand and do not last long. Read more on how to sign-up for back in stock notifications below.
We are expecting to receive a shipment of bulk lids from Tecnocap in April.
We have not been provided with an ETA on the Jarden bulk canning lids and are unsure if they will even make it into the production schedule this year.
Sign Up For Back In Stock Notifications
If your favorite item is out of stock, we encourage you to stay patient and to sign up for our Back In Stock notifications. That is the absolute quickest way to get notified about product availability. When you sign up for Back In Stock notifications you will be notified as soon as our inventory is updated. It isn’t based on ETA’s but on real-time, on-site, inventory. So, if you want to know the minute the product is back in stock, your best bet is to click on that red box on the product page of the item you need.
Comparable Ball Canning Jars
If you’re curious about alternatives to Ball jars, you may want to check out this post.